Forumchem - Forum with AI(ALICE BOT & HAL9000) and TTS

More dificult for us, more easy for you
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:38 pm

All times are UTC

[ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Mythological question about Clash of the Titans (movie)?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:13 am 

Okay, so this is probably a really silly question, but I watched Clash of the Titans the other day, the one with Sam Worthington, Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes +++ from perpetuate year... I know there are a lot of like historical errors compared to the actual myths, but as far as I could tell they (film makers) did stick somewhat to Greek mythology. However, why does Hades manipulate the Kraken? I thought the Kraken was a Norwegian (Scandinavian) sea monster? I have always heard the the Kraken was between Norway and Iceland, thus frightening sea men who were headed to Iceland to compromise down there...

is there any sort of connection between the Krakren and Greek mythology, or is it just artistic...something :p?

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:43 am 

Hello, it IS weird that they addopted a sea monster form another mythos, but the kraken, allthough it derives from nordic culture, it is never mentioned in their saggas. In the movie it is said that hades controls the kraken because he "made" it, but it would be more logic that Poseidon would control it since its a sea creature... either way, take it as hollywood wisdom haha. BTW im listening to the soundtrack and it it great!

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:17 pm 

theres two answer to thi,

1 - their making the stuff up.
2 - it was based on either scylla or charybodis, two greek monsters, one created whirlpool, the other sat on rock, and used it long neck to pluck sailors from the decks of the ships. i cant remember which way round they are, so google it.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:46 am 

nope my young mortal, the greek gods have said Hade control it to make the god of the dead more intimidating...a great big monster at the hand of Hades

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:13 pm 

If you watch the original movie by Ray Harryhausen 1981 on DVD, in the special features section Harryhausen states that he took the Kraken from Norse mythology.

The closest thing in Greek myths would be Poseidon, who wielded floods and earthquakes,

IMHO, the makers of the new version butchered a good story.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:32 pm 

300. it i about ancient greek soldier. 300 soldiers against 3000 soldier. there arent a lot of good mytholojical movie about really. theres troy but it doesnt have the god like zeus, etc. and ther gladiator. not mytholojical but it i still good. dont watch the new movie like meeshe the water giant etc. i have watched them and they r not gd. i have gcse in a few hours lol. cya

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:05 am 

This movie is a remake of an earlier one. Both have many errors about Greek myths. The monster in the myths had no name. Hades had no dealings with the monster. Poseidon sent sea monsters, not Hades. The Kraken was a much later Viking story. The film is totally wrong.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:21 pm 

there is no accuracy in that movie whatsoever. they made that movie for entertainment, not to stay true to the myths.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:14 pm 

Honestly, that the least of the movies problems.

Personally, I loved the whole Christian allegory slant to the entire story: Perseus a savior, battle between good and evil (Zeus and Hades are NOT good and evil), etc, plus the ending about how mortals can set their own destinies independently of the god, and the god dont mind, which is completely contrary to Greek concept of hubri.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:35 pm 

they chose it because Argo was a city near the sea so it made hades more intimidating to control a monster like that. yes the kraken is norse however to make it more accurate Poseidon should control it but because everyone sees hades as evil it was more suitable for him to control the kraken

Report this post
 [ 10 posts ]