Forumchem - Forum with AI(ALICE BOT & HAL9000) and TTS

More dificult for us, more easy for you
It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:42 pm

All times are UTC

[ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Even More science fair multimeter help?
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:17 am 

Once again, I am doing a science project in which I measure the conductance of different liquids using a Multimeter some wires and a 9 volt battery to check electrolyte levels. Before, I was using a 9 volt battery, alligator clips, a "Conductance tester"(plastic tubing and wire), and a multimeter to test electrolyte levels in milliamps. However I kept getting 0.00 as my result. Even when I dumped a lot of salt in 1/4 cup of water to see if I could get it to do anything. I know the multimeter is working because it"s checking voltage just fine. Now I"m trying a new setup in which I test Ohms instead. If this works, I will need to convert to siemens. Is that possible and if it is, what is the formula? Additionally, if anyone can tell me why my original experiment didn"t work, I"d appreciate it. Thanks for any help.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:28 am 

Conductance in Siemens or mho i equal to 1 over the resistance in ohms.

Read 1000 ohm, and conductance i 0.001 mho or 1 mmho
Read 10000 ohms, and conductance i 0.0001 mho or 100 mho

Re your current measurement, I suspect you have it connected wrong, but I cant tell from your description. Meter must be in serie with the battery.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:34 am 

It mean the meter i reading 9.3V. for battery voltage. You will probably find the same reading if you put the meter probe across the battery (which is what I hope you are not doing, anyway?). You should have the black meter probe connected to the battery negative terminal, and a wire from the other battery terminal to a probe (or just a bared end) that you place in the liquid, and the red probe from the meter at a distance from it also in the liquid. The fact you are reading (probably) the battery voltage shows that this setup is not an ideal way to test for fluid conductivity. There doesnt need to be much current flow to register 9V. if you have a 9V. battery. Little current i required for a digital multimeter reading. A potentially more accurate way would be to use the multimeter OHMS ranges. That way at least, you get a meaningful indication of conductivity of the liquid, and no extra battery required.

[ 3 posts ]